At Worple Primary School, PSHE enables our children to become healthy, independent and responsible members of society. Our pupils are encouraged to develop their sense of self-worth by playing a positive role in contributing to school life and the wider community. They learn how society is organised and governed and experience the process of democracy in school through the school council. We provide opportunities for them to learn about rights and responsibilities and appreciate what it means to be a positive member of a diverse society.
Our aims are to enable the children:
- To recognise their own worth;
- To work well with others;
- To develop positive relationships and respect for others;
- To understand our common humanity, diversity and differences;
- To know and understand what constitutes a healthy lifestyle;
- To develop safety awareness;
- To be positive and active members of a democratic society;
- To develop self-confidence and self-esteem, and make informed choices regarding personal and social choices;
- To form good relationships with other members of the school and the wider community.
We follow the One Decision scheme of learning which supports our planning and ensures whole school progression of skills and knowledge.
Class teachers use a range of learning tasks to engage the children, involving them in activities such as discussions, role play, games, investigations and problem-solving. We encourage the children to take part in a range of practical activities that promote active citizenship, e.g. charity fundraising, the planning of school special events such as an assembly or open day, or involvement in an activity to help other individuals or groups less fortunate than themselves. Classes are organised in such a way that pupils are able to participate in discussion to resolve conflicts or behaviour. Children have opportunities to meet and work with members of the community, such as health workers, fire fighters, police, and representatives from the local church, whom we invite into the school to talk about their role in creating a positive and supportive local community. Children take on different roles of responsibility during their school life.
Used as a whole-school, cross-curricular approach, our PSHE curriculum helps prepare our pupils for the responsibilities and opportunities of life and helps enable them to cope with and contribute positively to their futures, becoming successful learners, responsible citizens, and confident individuals